Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

The world of television can be fast-paced and hectic, but the rewards can make it all worthwhile in the end. That is one of the messages that will be presented by two well-known local guests who will be making appearances at WCU in the coming weeks. Both Pat Ciarrocchi, anchor of KYW-TV, and Marc Zumoff, play-by-play announcer for the Philadelphia 76ers, have been scheduled to speak to students about their struggles and triumphs in the world of television. The Association for Women and Men in Communication is hosting both events and encourages students to attend these informative speeches. Anyone who is interested in broadcasting, especially television, will greatly benefit from the facts and stories that will be shared by these talented individuals.

Even if life in front of the camera is not your desirable career path, these two locals will provide knowledge and advice that will be helpful in all areas of the work force. Pat Ciarrochi will speak on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Schmucker Science Center C100. Pat Ciarrocchi anchors Eyewitness News on Channel 3 at noon with Ukee Washington. Ciarrocchi has beenat CBS since 1982, and she began as Philadelphiaʼs early morning news anchor.

Her skill and drive helped the program grow from half an hour to a full twohour segment. Ciarrocchi has been involved in many positions at Channel 3 such as Evening Magazine, which she co-hosted in 1991 and ʻ92. She also served as the stationʼs medical reporter for five years. She is the winner of the Philadelphia Emmy Award and was inducted into the Philadelphia Broadcast Pioneers Hall of Fame in 2000 for her many accomplishments in the televisionindustry.

Ciarrocchi also won the prestigious Gabriel Award from the National Catholic Association of Broadcasters, a CEBA Award recognizing communications excellence to black audiences and a Sarah Award from the local chapter of the Women in Communication. Ciarrocchi is very active in the community. She has dedicated much of her time to serving on the boards of the Easter Seal Society and the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

In 1989, she launched The Pat Ciarrocchi Golf Classic, which has raised thousands of dollars for local charities. She has been awarded two honorary doctorate degrees, one from Neumann College in Aston, Delaware County and one from Cabrini College in Radnor. A native of Chester County, Ciarrocchi currently resides in Merion, Pa. with her husband, David Fineman, and his two sons. Marc Zumoff will be speaking on Thursday, Nov. 4 at Schumucker Science Center C100 at 7 p.m. Bringing with him years of experience in the field of broadcasting, he will share his insight about how to succeed in a business that is not always easy to enter or excel in. A regular presenter at colleges and universities around the country, Zumoff also works as a broadcast coach to those interested in his field. His career has spanned 25 years. Twelve of those were spent as an anchor and reporter for PRISM and WPHL-TV in Philadelphia.

Along with being the announcer for the 76ers, Marcis also a play-by-play voice for the NBA on Turner Sports. He has succeeded in a field that is highly competitive. And he has done so while maintaining his integrity, his professionalism and his sense of humor.

Zumoff is also an occasional host for Radio Times, a news and interview program on Philadelphia ʼs National Public Radio affiliate, WHYY-FM. He has had great success as a voice-over talent for commercials, films, andvideos. His accomplishments include winning the Mid-Atlantic Emmy Award for play-by-play seven of the last nine years. Both born and raised in Philadelphia, he remains a resident of the cityʼs suburbs, along with his wife and two sons.The AWMC is excited to have these two accomplished speakers available for the students of WCU, especially those interested in the field of communication.

There will be free food available at both events and eachwill include a lecture that starts at 7 p.m. followed by a question and answer session. If there are any questions, students may contact the Communications Office in Main 512.