Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

‘Ram Country,’ a 9-foot by 9-foot by 3-foot statue weighing in at a hefty 2,000 pounds has been getting a lot of attention lately. The bronze-cast statue is the third of four originals developed by Wyoming artist James Marsico. If purchased, the statue will be placed on the facade of Old Library, the most elder building on campus.The proposed placement of the statue is meant to work in coordination with the “Church Street Master Plan.” The plan, developed in the 1999-2000 academic year by students, faculty and administration, provides a series of guidelines to guide future construction on and around Church Street. Although the plan does not specify any specific changes, a popular one that may be in the near future and impacted the decision to place Ram Country in front of Old Library was to close Church Street to traffic and make it a walking mall. Such action could be taken in the next two years.

The cost of the statue, including delivery and artist on-site for installation, is $48,000. That price-tag does not include construction costs, professional fees, project management and a 10% project contingency which together total $51,190. The cost for the project-generated and approved by Student Government Association (SGA)-is $99,190. No money has been committed to the artist at this time.

Three years ago, Mike Stoll, then President of SGA, along with Mell Josephs, the president of Student Services Incorporated (SSI), allocated $30,000 of SSI funds for the purchase of some type of ram monument. In the years following, Kevin Foster, who replaced Stoll as SGA President and Bradley Williams, who replaced Foster, each presented $10,000 in funding for the project to Josephs. Currently, $50,000 is being held for the purchase, and $49,190 remains to be acquired.

Two weeks ago, The Quad published an editorial written by WCU sociology professor, Dr. Harvey Greisman. Dr. Greisman criticized the location, cost and appearance of the statue-among other things. The Quad took Greisman’s concerns, along with the bare facts to the students, staff, faculty and administration of the University for their opinion.

In an unscientific poll conducted by The Quad, of the 130 student respondents, 78 (60 percent) were for the statue, 39 (30 percent) were against it and 13 (10 percent) were unsure. Additionally, out of the 31 faculty, staff and administrative respondents, 15 (49 percent) were for the statue, 12 (39 percent) were against it and 4 (12 percent) were unsure.

Some of the respondents chose to elaborate on their opinions. Third-year student Tiffany McClennen said, “I think it’ll show school pride.”

On the other end of the spectrum is Meghan Myers: “If they can afford to build this statue and raise the salary of administration, why can’t they pay the professors more or supply them with a better health plan?”

“I think that it’s a cool representation of school spirit,” said second-year student Becca Grites.

Dr. Roger Kodosky, a professor in the History Department asked, “Are there other ways to use the money that would have a substantial impact?” He continued, “It seems like a lot for a statue of a ram.” He then suggested a cross-campus referendum.

Dr. Lisa Millhous of the Communication Studies Department said that she is for it so long as tuition money is not used. Millhous says she prefers a ram to “twisted metal.”

Cynthia Bednar is the Director of Publications and Printing Services and the Interim Director of Public Relations and Marketing. “I think it will ‘pay for itself’,” she said, “both in publicity and photo-ops.” A concern of hers was the statue’s proposed location. With regards to its placement, Bednar said, “I’m just not thrilled with the location and [I] have concerns that it’ll be a vandal’s target, especially for passing cars along Rosedale Avenue.”

If you’d like your opinion to be heard, contact the Forum Section or attend a weekly SGA Senate meeting. They’re held Tuesday evenings at 7 p.m. in Sykes Ballroom A.