Wed. Apr 24th, 2024

For the past 26 years the coordinator of LGBTQA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, queer, questioning, allies) services has been one part of Dr. Jackie Hodes’ job , who is the assistant to the Vice President of Student Affairs, Dr. Matthew Bricketto. This work has been extremely important not only to me, but to many LGBTQA students, faculty and staff. Some people may be aware of Dr. Hodes departure from her position, others may not be; in any case, as of August, Dr. Hodes will be taking a teaching position at WCU. This is a great career path for her and she will be missed in the Student Affairs Office. Fortunately, she will still be reachable at her new position.
The reason for this article is because I think it is time to hire a permanent full time Director of LGBTQA services for WCU. It has been long enough that this inequality has continued. If the Office of Multi-Cultural Affairs, services for students with disabilities and the Women’s Center can have directors, shouldn’t it be equal? Should not the LGBTQA campus community have a director as well?
Many LGBTQA students, faculty, and staff come to West Chester University looking for a safe space where they can be themselves and love who they want on campus without hiding. I know from my own personal college search experience when that this played a big role in where I applied and chose to attend. I e-mailed Dr. Hodes and we discussed the campus climate and certain organization’s support for students. After this discussion and a campus visit, it was a done deal. WCU was where I belonged. Not only because of the academics but because Dr. Hodes assured me that this campus is a safe place for the LGBTQA community.
I think it is important that we hire a full time position in order to continue the work that Dr. Hodes has done. Over the years her position has evolved. In the beginning she was serving primarily students, but as the campus continued to grow and involved more and more faculty, staff and allies turned to her for support. The job she has done is commendable and immeasurable. The amount of lives she has touched through her position is tremendous. But to think if we took her position to hire a full time Director of LGBTQA Services, many more lives could be positively impacted.
On behalf of the LGBTQA Advocacy Committee, Dr. Lisa Ruchti has written to Dr. Bricketto informing him of this dire need. She writes in her letter to him, “It is clear to us that if Jackie Hodes was not leaving her position, our call for a full-time person might not rise to your highest funding priority. It is because she is leaving and the opportunity her departure presents, that we ask you to use her salary to fund a 100% dedicated person to LGBTQA Services.” Dr. Ruchti makes it clear that we understand the budgetary concerns and constraints. She continues with, “We know that the investment in this position will pay off in many ways- student success, retention and graduation, student engagement and satisfaction, warmer climate for faculty and staff, engagement of parents and alumni as well as corporate and community partners.”
As a graduating senior, I’m sad to be leaving this exceptional institution, but I know that my future holds great plans for me, but that future would not have been possible without Dr. Hodes. Her job as coordinator of LGBTQA services is so meaningful to so many people in so many different ways. LGBTQA Services helps students, faculty and staff through harsh times and celebrates them in times of accomplishments. Without these services WCU will truly suffer.
What is not done today may not be done tomorrow. What better time than now? I urge many of you to either start or continue to bring awareness to this need. This is our community, our campus and if we want it to continue to be safe for the LGBTQA students, faculty and staff then we need a permanent, full-time position dedicated to LGBTQA services. This action needs to be taken now.
Rebekah Balmer is a fifth-year women and gender studies and sociology dual major. He can be reached at RB649636@wcupa.edu