Sun. Jan 23rd, 2022

Deepher Dude is an annual philanthropic male beauty pageant that the ladies of Delta Phi Epsilon put on every year. The event is on Tuesday Oct. 30 in Sykes theatre at 7:30 p.m. Young men from fraternities and other campus organizations will compete through a trivia round, question and answer session, and talent portion. The winner of the event will be featured on the sorority’s 2013 composite.

The event is for a great cause, The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, which is one of Delta Phi Epsilons three philanthropies. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States. The disease clogs the lungs, which makes breathing difficult, and obstructs the pancreas, so the body cannot break down and absorb food efficiently. Last year, Delta Phi Epsilon raised almost $2,000 at the event, all of which went to the foundation.

“My goal is to raise $4,000 for CFF. The foundation is really important to us because one of our own sisters, Ilana Berger, has Cystic Fibrosis and we see how she is affected by it every day. Out of all of our philanthropies-  the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation holds a special place in all of our hearts,” Liz Thompson, the Vice President of Programming for Delta Phi Epsilon, said.

This Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, which is a nonprofit donor-supported organization, is the world’s leader in the search for a cure for cystic fibrosis. Their focus is to support the development of new drugs to fight the disease, improve the quality of life for those with CF, and ultimately to find a cure.

“Deepher Dude has been a long-standing tradition on West Chester’s campus where men from each fraternity participate in an all-male beauty pageant, donning suits and performing various talents.  The pageantry is all for an incredible cause; to raise funds and awareness for the disease, Cystic Fibrosis,” Lauren Sweeny Derrico, an alumna of the chapter, said.

Their monetary goal is not all these ladies are changing. This year, they have created an ad program book. The program book will feature advertisements from local businesses, the Delta Phi Epsilon Alumnae Association, and even parents of the sisters. Ad space varies from $15 to $75, and everything will be going to CFF.

“We saw that Drexel uses a program book to increase their numbers, so we thought we would try the same. This is the first year we are trying this. Some of our alumnae our helping us create it. They are great to work with,” Ellie Luther, Philanthropy Chair, and creator of the ad sales program, said.

This year, the theme of Deepher Dude is travel. The slogan is “Looking for a Fly Guy” and resembles a 1960’s flight attendant vibe, with vintage maps along the walls, and airplanes hung from the ceilings. Having a theme gets the contestants more into it, and makes for a better show.

Tickets will be sold at $3 for students (with ID) and $5 for non-students. There will be raffles as well. The sisters are planning to get donated items as well as purchase iPods, gps’s, sunglasses, and designer bags. It is sure to be an entertaining show with a lot of great prizes.

“I competed last year, and it was so much fun. It was a night filled with laughter, good times, great friends, and awesome dance moves.” Kody Pasqualichio, first runner up for Deepher Dude 2011, said.

The 2011 winner of the pagent, Mike Dattalo a brother of Sigma Pi, also has great things to say about the event, “I am so happy to have been a part of Deepher Dude in 2011. I had so much fun as a participant and encourage everyone to go to the event.”

Liz Thompson is a fourth-year communication studies major with a minor in journalism.  She can be reached at ET715984@wcupa.edu.