Sun. Jan 23rd, 2022

Every year, thousands of students leave home and make the transition into college life. While it may be easy for some, others can find it to be overwhelming and difficult to do without the familiar support of friends and family. This can lead to feelings of loneliness, depression and isolation. What students need to understand is that they are not alone, and that there are many people on campus to help with this transition. Every single person on this campus can probably admit to feeling discouraged or overwhelmed at some point or another. What distinguishes us from each other is how we choose to handle those feelings. Case in point, it is more than okay to ask for help. This year, National Suicide Prevention Week will take place on Sept. 6 to Sept. 12, 2009. During this time, millions of people across the world will band together to help one another and show support for those that need it. It is also important to take the time to remember those who lost the fight.

It is estimated that there are 11,000 suicides on college campuses every year. That is one statistic to not be a part of. Instead, work on being part of a new statistic. Last year, 1,089 individual students sought help from the counseling center at West Chester University. 74 percent of those students were going for their first time. Over 6,000 appointments were scheduled last year alone, which goes to show that when you reach out, help will be there.

We can all do so much to help prevent suicide. Check out the “Help Prevent Suicide” article in this edition of Student Health 101 for more information. Below are some helpful resources to turn to on our campus when times seem a little rough. Remember, even if you are not personally going through it, chances are your friend, roommate or classmate might be. So never hesitate to help, even if they are too afraid to ask.

Here’s How to Beat the September blues:

Build a group of supportive friends.

Turn your dorm room into your new home.

Keep in touch with your friends and family back home.

Understand that it is okay to feel homesick.

Find a balance between being involved on campus and time for your school work, relaxation, and friends.

On Campus Resources:

Counseling Center: 2nd Floor Lawrence/610-436-2301

Learning Assistance & Resource Center: 2nd Floor Lawrence/610-436-2535

Services for Students with Disabilities: 2nd Floor Lawrence/610-436-2564

Hopeline:1-800-SUICIDE

Chester County Mental Health: 1-877-918-2100

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK

Amy Pulcini is a West Chester University student. She can be reached at AP682644@wcupa.edu