Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

Lauren Bulack, a 2006 graduate of West Chester University, recently opened Artifact Boutique located on 200 W. Gay Street. Artifact Boutique boasts an inventory of women’s apparel that is constantly updated to stay on par with the latest trends. But one major factor distinguishes this boutique from its other high-end competitors: everything in the store, including clothing, jewelry, and accessories, is under $60.

Bulack, who had prior experience in retail after graduating from WCU, stated that her idea for opening a “boutique for less” came to her as a result of the current state of the economy.

“My family and I realized that with the effects of the economy, a boutique with a price range of $60 and under would be a great idea,” Bulack said.

Bulack was resourceful when making her concept into a reality; she took out a minimal loan and bought the store’s fixtures used. The owner also benefited from the help of family and friends with the store’s carpentry and painting.

Despite the grim future placed ahead of new businesses due to the economy, business at Artifact Boutique has flourished since its opening in June. The store carries a wide array of women’s apparel and accessories, including clothing, handbags, jewelry, gift items, books, scarves, and gift cards. Major fall trends are represented at the store, especially cocktail dresses, leggings, statement jewelry, and clothing featuring embellishments like sequins, zippers, and studs.

Bulack travels to New York City frequently to buy from vendors for the store’s inventory; Fifth Culture, a company based in Los Angeles, is a regular staple in Artifact Boutiques’ clothing supply.

The transition from fall into winter poses a new challenge for the store’s owner.

“Sometimes it is difficult to find clothing that fits within the store’s price range,” she said. The store’s regular sales and clearances make way for new inventory that comes in weekly.

According to Bulack, Artifact Boutique is geared toward students, young professionals, and women who want to stay fashionable while staying within a budget. The store owner’s experience as a communication major at WCU provided her with the background to both carry out her business concept and fully understand her customers’ needs.

“WCU is such a great school. With a degree from there, you’ll be prepared for anything,” Bulack said.

Since the store has benefited from student patronage, Bulack made sure to place an ad for Artifact in the Local Business student planner and created a Facebook page for the store, under “Artifact Boutique for Less.” Artifact Boutique also has a Web site under construction that will help spread publicity for the store.

Bulack hopes that Artifact Boutique will someday expand and open up a new location to take her business to the next level. Until then, the new women’s clothing boutique, open Monday-Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday from noon – 4 p.m., has certainly established itself as the leading women’s boutique for trendy yet affordable fashion.

Jen James is a third-year student majoring in English. She can be reached at JJ655874@wcupa.edu.