During the week of Nov. 14-18, the LGBTQA is sponsoring a transgender awareness week. The idea of this week was proposed by the 2010-2011 executive board of the LGBTQA. The executive board decided to carry out their vision. 

The idea stemmed from Transgender Day of Remembrance that took place last fall. The students decided it was a good idea to make an entire week and include a memorial for those who have been killed for being transgender or defying the gender binary. 

Dr. Jackie Hodes, assistant to the vice president of student affairs and director of LGBTQA Services, stated it was a “collective effort” and she is guiding the process. It is important to have a transgender awareness week because “it puts a spotlight on it and makes it safer to talk about. The more we talk about it, the safer people will feel in order to come out,” Hodes said. This conversation may  lead to a change in the campus climate.

Definitions will be discussed, an increase in knowledge will be gained. Students can begin to challenge beliefs, attitudes and behaviors. It’s a small start in creating a safer place to explore what it means to be transgender and it will help create an understanding of all people. 

The LGBTQA plans on this week being the first annual transgender awareness week.

“It’s how things start off, but we will continue to have discussions throughout the year,” said Hodes. She hopes that this will give students a chance to collectively learn together.

Dr. Lisa Ruchti, Associate Professor in women’s and gender studies and sociology, a faculty member of the LGBTQA advocacy committee, and faculty member on the transgender policy group that was formed this fall mentioned, “students always have questions.” And this awareness week is a great way to answer those questions.

Both Hodes and Ruchti think the week’s events will be well attended. 

“In 2011, people understand how to be respectful to difference,” Hodes said. Now it’s time to educate them on that difference. There is a want to learn here at WCU and this week is going to give the students what they want – a chance to learn and ask the questions they have burning in their brains.  

Spencer Wright, a fourth year social work major and President of the LGBTQA said: “A transgender awareness week is important, because issues facing the transgender community are seldom discussed; however, severe abuses and disparities affect this community strongly.” He also mentioned it is also important that people know beyond what being transgender means, which is of course crucial, but know how to make sure that one conducts themselves in a way that is consistently respectful and professional.

Wright said, “transgender awareness week is extremely important to me.  I am currently a fourth year student and looking back, I can remember when nothing or very little was done within the LGBTQA regarding Transgender Day of Remembrance, so this is a sign of massive progress.” Wright also said,  “It is an opportunity to teach students about a community and concerns in a way that seldom exists.  It can help further advance the reputation of WCU students as a well-educated, well-rounded community of people.”

Wright hopes that students, regardless of the gender or background, can learn about a community that may be completely unfamiliar to them, or learn more about issues they may already know something about.

The transgender community is one of the most abused and misunderstood both in the United States and abroad.  Therefore it is important to educate people one by one. 

Wright commented, “It cannot be stressed enough the importance of this week.  Having a whole week of Transgender related events and workshops is incredibly rare, and is seldom discussed at all.  I know several Transgender students on this campus, who have flourishing social lives, and thrive in the environment they are in.” He continued to explain, “It is of course impossible for a non-transgender person to imagine some of the hardships transgender people endure doing everyday things such as going to the bathroom, but through weeks like this, more transgender-allies can be created and transgender individuals will learn to become respected for their resilience and accomplishments.”

The week of events include an information table in Sykes on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Monday, during LGBTQA’s regular meeting time in room 252, there will be a gender identity question and answer session led by J Daly, secretary of the LGBTQA student organization. From 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. in Ballroom C there will be a viewing of the movie, “No Dumb Questions” and a discussion. 

On Wednesday, Nov. 16, from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Sykes room 254, Dr. Michelle Angello, a clinical sexologist, will be hosting a workshop centered on working with transgender college students. Following this workshop at 7:30 p.m., Dr. Angello will give a lecture on transgender students and the college experience. This event is co-sponsored by the SGA Multicultural Affairs Committee. 

On Thursday, Nov. 17, at 9:30 a.m. in Sykes room 252, Barbara Peronteau will host a coffee and conversation about her faith journey and being a transgender woman. At 7 p.m. on Thursday, J Daly will be hosting J and I in He Don’t Wear a Dress: A Queer Cabaret. 

Friday, Nov. 18, at 1 p.m., there will be a memorial for Transgender day of Remembrance in Sykes Ballroom A. Following the memorial and the conclusion of the week, The Understanding Privilege Project presents, Understanding Cisgender hosted by Dr. Simon Ruchti and Dr. Matthew Pierlott. 

Rebekah Balmer is a fifth-year student majoring in women’s and gender studies and sociology. She can be reached at RB649636@wcupa.edu.