Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

Students in Communication (SIC), one of WCU’s student organizations, is hosting its annual Communication Career Night event on March 26 in Sykes Theater. In past years, this event has proven to be highly beneficial for students of any academic major who are looking to network within, learn about, or are seeking a future career in communication.

SIC’s faculty adviser, Dr. Kanan Sawyer of the communication studies department, and Kim Bydlon, a second-year communication studies major, have been working hard since the start of this semester to organize the event.  Communication Career Night entails a presentation by top professionals in the communication field, a question and answer session, and a meet-and-greet reception.  This year’s reception will incorporate potential internship representatives and a chance to mingle with the guest speakers, as well as include light snacks and beverages.

The four featured communication professionals, who are rated highly among WCU’s Communication Studies Department faculty, come from various backgrounds and firms. Mazda T. Miles is the president and the Chief Events Strategist of Perfection Events Inc., an events company that specializes in Strategic Meeting Management (SMM) and Event Design services for small businesses, corporations, and non-profit organizations. Miles has more than 15 years of experience in event planning, which is often  a career commonly associated with communication studies.

Another career that would not traditionally fall under the communication category is the military, from which the second guest speaker comes. Colonel John C. Church, Jr. served in the United States Marine Corps as a Civil Affairs Officer who coordinated overseas community action and conducted public relations for these programs. Col. Church holds a master’s degree in communication, journalism and public affairs from American University, and is now an english/communications professor at Immaculata University. Col. Church’s military career is extensive and impressive, as are his personal decorations and knowledge of communication.

Cassandra McFarlane holds a special relation with WCU as a recent communication studies graduate. McFarlane works now as the Digital Sales Specialist at the Philadelphia branch of the well-known CBS Television and Radio corporation. Previously, she worked as the sales coordinator for Philadelphia Magazine, as well as a classified sales representative for HMP Communications, a publishing company.

Finally, Kelly Roach, another WCU graduate, chose to follow a career path that resembles “one less traveled,” as she now works as a business performance coach. Her experience in this career results from also being the current Senior Vice President for a Fortune 500 Company. Ms. Roach knows the competitiveness of the communication field and has a passion for assisting individuals and businesses reach their full potential and achieve their goals.

The enthusiastic group involved with the planning of this event feels that this year’s Communication Career Night hosts some of the most diverse and dynamic guest speakers yet; this event is surely not one to be missed-especially for those who are or who plan to be a communication studies student. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Sykes Theater on March 26.

Kim Bydlon is a second-year student majoring in communication studies. She can be reached at KB757829@wcupa.edu.