Have you heard that local elections will be taking place in one week, next Tuesday, Nov. 8? While local elections may not be as “in your face” as Presidential elections, they are still important occasions that every citizen should participate in.  

Are you content to let other people make important decisions that impact your life for you? Would you want your little brother (or a random person on the street, for that matter), to select your outfit for a date, or would you want to choose it yourself?  

Why then, would you let someone else choose your local elected officials, such as District Attorney, your Council Members, and County Commissioners for you?   

To help yourself become an informed voter, take a look below for a brief overview of the candidates and their potential positions.   

For more detailed information, view the PA League of Women Voters’ Guide for Municipal Election 2011 at 

http://www.palwv.org/chesco/temp/votersguide2011-fall.pdf

Polling locations include Lawrence Hall, Wayne Hall, Borough Public Works and Borough Hall for all campus students and most of those living in campus neighborhoods. Visit www.chesco.org voter services to verify your polling location. Polls open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. You may vote as long as you are in line by 8 p.m

Particularly with the growing worldwide “Occupy” protests, the time is NOW to take a stand and vote!

It is obvious that young people care about what is going on in the world, in our economy, and in our communities. Students should care about the upcoming races because the decisions our elected officials make affects our communities and our lives.  

Voting is your voice in what happens with the government. It’s time to vote. So do it! 

It may be slightly inconvenient, it may take a little time out of your hectic day, but when you lay your head down to sleep next Tuesday night, will you be able to say that you fulfilled your civic duty and voiced your opinion? 

Or will you fall asleep knowing that you let someone else decide who should govern us?