Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

Mark Engle’s invention is perplexing at first glance. It is slender with a specialized plastic mallet on one end and an exotic wood handle on the other, which may confuse anyone trying to determine its purpose. However, this West Chester University student’s curiously clever invention will change the musical world by giving guitarists a new way to play their instruments.
Before studying communicative disorders (with minors in Special Education and Spanish) at West Chester University, Engle toured North America in the rock band Dahlgren for six years. Though he had hung up his musical “spurs,” one night it dawned on him that it was possible to combine the best of the guitar and the piano, creating an altogether new sound and method of playing the guitar.

He envisioned a small musical hammer that would strike guitar strings precisely. He tried to find a similar product in the marketplace, but to no avail. After searching 5,000 patent records without finding an appropriate reference, he excitedly sought out legal advice and professional patent search services. They confirmed his suspicions-his invention was novel.
Engle’s design-a guitar-hammer or percussion mallet-allows for more tonal variation than traditional guitar picks. The head of the mallet, shaped like an elongated eye, is composed of molded plastic; its shape, weight, and angle are key elements of its design and function. He dubbed the musical accessory “The Engle,” as in “a new angle for playing the guitar.”

Invention in hand, Engle crossed campus to check in with The Dr. Edwin Cottrell Entrepreneurial Leadership Center (ELC) within the College of Business and Public Affairs at West Chester Uni-versity. At the center, he received priceless advice, including a roadmap to startup success. Dr. Monica Zimmer-man, Director of the Cottrell Center, said, “We are excited for Mark. He participated in the Entrepre-neurial Fellowship Program, and many students researched the target market and analyzed the competitive landscape.”

Many WCU students contributed to the market research. Professor Marc Duey of the Marketing Department put the prospective product into the hands of several classes. The Marketing Research class (MKT360) considered pricing and positioning, the Prin-ciples of Marketing class (MKT325) re-viewed market potential, and the MBA Strategic Marketing class (MBA605) took a deep dive into alternative modes of distribution, financing, and the entire marketing mix.

Dr. Michelle Patrick, Associate Dean in the College of Business and Public Affairs, commented, “It is wonderful that several classes provided significant assistance to a student inventor, which resulted in meaningful real-world experiences in starting a business for our students.”

Engle is now president of Engler Innovations, LLC. The US Patent Office in Washington D.C. issued patent number 8,193,431 for “The Engle” on June 5, 2012, with the title “Guitar Hammer and Method.”

In May, a visit to China and a considerable amount of homework resulted in the reduction of “The Engle’s” manufacturing cost by over 80%.

Taylor’s Music Store, located at 116 W. Gay St., will be the first retailer to carry “The Engle,” which will be priced at or near $19.95. Len Doyle, President of Taylor Music, is impressed with the uniqueness of the design and the reasonable price.
The guitar-hammer produces a pure tone and permits the guitar player to play longer using less energy. Focus groups have clearly indicated that there will be a warm reception for “The Engle” among novice, experienced, and professional guitar players alike. Brief demonstration videos can be found on YouTube by searching “Two Guitars, One Engle” or “The Engle vs. Pick.”

Currently, Engle is busy finalizing many marketing details in order to launch “The Engle” in time for Christmas. His team will be attending the National Association of Music Merchants Show, a major music convention in Anaheim, Calif. in January 2013.
Let us not be surprised should West Chester students one day feel very proud of their involvement with “The Engle” when it is used by a musician at the Grammy Awards.

Alex Resunite is a former Marketing student at West Chester.