Mon. Jan 17th, 2022

As the sun tan begins to fade, some students turn to alternative tanning methods to keep their sun-kissed skin throughout the year. Several tanning locations around West Chester provide services to help maintain that beach bronze skin. “Planet Beach Contempo Spa is a new, hip spa in West Chester that offers a wide range of services including, facials, teeth whitening, therapeutic relaxation, tanning and skin rejuvenation,” Cherie Friedman, owner of Planet Beach, said.

The spa will open for the first time on Sept. 27, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. The new spa is located at 1075 West Chester Pike, in West Chester.

Management describes Planet Beach as more than a tanning salon. They describe it as a contempo spa. A contempo spa is an alternative environment which allows customers to experience spa and tanning treatments without devoting an entire day to relaxation at a day spa. The equipment available is easy to use. Customers simply push a button and immediately begin enjoying the relaxation and soothing experience that a contempo spa has to offer.

Planet Beach opened its first franchise location in 1996. Since then, Planet Beach has grown tremendously and is now the largest tanning franchise in the United States with 360 locations. The franchise has also gone international with spas in Canada and Australia.

Planet Beach has a vision: to deliver premier wellness, relaxation, tanning and skin rejuvenation services that enhance the spa experience, said management.

When searching for the right tanning salon, some people look at location, cleanliness, price, customer service and other services that may be offered. Sometimes it may be worth the high price if the salon is exceptionally clean and provides unique services that are not available at other locations.

“The spa is committed to providing an incomparable experience,” spa director Courtney Dallas said. “The staff wants to ensure that all customers receive the ultimate spa experience. All employees are NTTI-certified spa consultants that will be there to answer any question that may come up about their equipment and products.”

The spa consultants are also knowledgable about Planet Beach’s private label skin care product line. Planet Beach is the only franchise in the contempo spa industry to provide its own line of products. Products range from natural lotions, to lotions that will prepare skin for tanning, as well as premium lotions that accelerate tanning results. According to product developers they all have products that will decrease wrinkles while increasing collagen and elastin.

“Our customers always come first. We strive for superior customer service while providing superior equipment in a state of the art facility. Once you come in, we will take good care of you,” Dallas said.

Planet Beach has something to offer for everyone. The luminous facial uses LED light in conjunction with topical skin care products that will stimulate cellular renewal, reduce fine lines and will immediately lift and tighten skin. The facial treatment will also help reduce acne. The luminous facial is FDA approved and is more cost effective than micro-derm abrasion, chemical peels and Botox, according to Dallas.

“I’m very excited about the new spa and encourage everyone to stop by and check us out,” Friedman said.

The spa has several specials to celebrate the opening of their new location. WCU students are eligible for most of them with a student ID. With the purchase of some memberships, customers will also receive 10 percent off purchases from Planet Beach’s online shop.

Planet Beach consultants and spa directors will be distributing free guest passes and other promotional material around West Chester. Their first promotional event will be on Oct. 7, 2007 at the chili cook off.

The hours at Planet Beach Contempo Spa are Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m., Friday 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m.-7 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Hannah Severtson is a fourth-year student majoring in political science with a minor in Journalism. She can be reached at HS597440@wcupa.edu.