Sun. Jan 23rd, 2022

The Rams, who came off a big win against Slippery Rock last week, brought that momentum into this Saturday’s matchup against East Strousdburg University, beating ESU 37-26. It was a very important task for this team if they want to win the PSAC and make a run for a championship. Everyone knew this would be a slugfest between to very capable teams.

The one thing the Golden Rams had that East Strousdburg didn’t have was sophomore sensation Rondell White. White has put up 655 all-purpose yards in the last three games, torching defensive schemes and putting this Rams team on his back.

During the game against ESU, White ran for a season high 203 yards, while amassing 299 all-purpose yards for the Golden Rams. White, who saw a lot of playing time as a freshman last year at wideout, running back, and special teams, has finally emerged as a legitimate first option for the Golden Rams.

White, a local product from Bayard Rustin High School, had 239 yards from the line of scrimmage, including a 39 yard touchdown run in the third quarter.

LaRonn Lee from Lancaster, Pa. caught six passes for a career-high 115 yards and led all receivers. West Chester QB Sean McCartney went 16 of 26 for 239 yards, including a TD toss to Sean Beahan and went through the whole game without turning over the ball.

West Chester won the close-fought battle, while a couple players set career highs and caught their first touchdown passes.

White’s 203 rushing yards is the 18th time in school history a running back reached that mark, while his 299 all-purpose yards is the 9th best single game total in school history.

Wide receivers Eric Brundidge and Sean Beahan each caught their first career TD passes. Beahan also added 87 receiving yards in the victory. Field goal kicker Shawn Leo added three field goals making him 10-12 on the season and well on his way to breaking the school record of 12 field goals in a season. This would be an accomplishment considering the record has been standing since 1984. Over all the Golden Rams are coming together at the right time and look primed to make a run at a PSAC title.

After talking to senior half back and team captain, Brian McDermitt, commented about the game and White, “Our offense is really coming together with Sean going through the air and Delly (White) having a break-out season,” Mcdermitt said. “I really feel like our offense would be able to hang with any other offense in the league…I really like our chances in the PSAC this year and entering every game knowing we have a good chance to come out with the W. We worked too hard in training camp to be complacent on the field. Every play we run out until the whistle and if we keep it up and keep our motors running at all-time on the field, I see good things happening for us this year.”

West Chester University will take a trip to New York next Saturday to play C.W. Post. The Rams will go into the  New York posting a 2-2 record but 2-0 in division play while C.W. Post 1-3 (1-0) is coming off a big offensive win against Shippensburg after racking up 551 offensive yards, leading to their first victory of the season.

AJ Krakower is a fourth-year student majoring in professional studies with minors in health and geography. He can be reached at at AK678528@wcupa.edu.