Wed. Apr 24th, 2024

The WCU College Republicans are hosting Loren Spivack, “the Free Market Warrior,” will be coming to campus to speak. The event will take place on April 2 at 7:30 p.m. in Sykes Ballroom A (117A). The title of his speech is “What Happened to the Economic Promise of America.”

Spivack is a renowned speaker who has travelled across the United States to give hundreds of lectures about economics and the value of the free market. Spivack strongly believes that the best way for America to prosper economically again is to go back to the free market system that made us so wealthy and powerful in the first place. He is largely a self-taught expert who only started becoming active in politics three years ago.

Spivack now seeks to educate other Americans about economics in the hopes that the American people will take that knowledge to the voting booth.

Garett Otterbein, President of the College Republicans, notes, “Mr. Spivack is something of a celebrity within the movement to bring back constitutional government. We are very fortunate to have him and couldn’t be more excited.”

The College Republicans encourage all students and faculty interested in the economy and/or politics to attend this event.

Spivack’s visit to campus is only the latest event that the WCU College Republicans have arranged, since the rebirth of the group in Fall 2010. In the Fall of 2010, College Republicans spent dozens of hours phone banking and going door-to-door for the Chester County Republicans in order to promote the Republican candidates.

The College Republicans got to meet now-Senator Pat Toomey and now-Governor Tom Corbett.

The College Republicans spent a lot of time with Tea Party leaders in Chester County and the American Sheepdogs, the group that shows support for the troops on the corner of High and Market Street.

The Sheepdogs were started by Rich Davis, a veteran, and the group has since become prominent. It now greatly outnumbers the anti-troop protestors that inspired Rich Davis to start the pro-troop rallies.

In the Spring 2011 semester, the College Republicans continued their community efforts and also began to focus on the WCU campus. One of their events was the “NOBama BBQ.” Students and faculty enjoyed free burgers and the College Republicans collected many signatures for the “not on our tab” campaign. The College Republicans had conversations with students and professors whether they agreed with them or disagreed with them. Several WCU College Republicans attended CPAC in Washington D.C. The group got to meet famous people in the conservative movement as well as interact with other conservative college students, a demographic that makes up about half of all CPAC attendees.

The College Republicans continued in the Fall 2011 semester and began to focus their efforts on campus. They began planning some activities that will have this semester. Some of their members worked with the political science club and participated in debates/discussions about key issues including the Tea Party and the practice of “fracking” in order to obtain natural gas. This semester, four of the members of College Republicans went to CPAC. The members were interviewed by the Huffington Post and their interview video was put on their website. The College Republicans chatted with Iowa Rep. Steve King and got a picture taken with him. They saw many conservatives, in person, including Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, and many others.

The WCU College Republicans recently hosted Dr. Rich Brake from the Intercollegiate Studies Institute. Brake gave a talk about the founding principal of the United States.

Their next big speaker is Loren Spivack and thenthey plan to co-sponsor the Freedom Fair with the newly initiated group, Students for Liberty. Although that event is not yet scheduled it is likely to take place sometime in late April.

Any WCU student interested in attendance can come to one of their meetings in Sykes room 251 on Monday evenings at 7:00 p.m.

Bill Hanrahan is a fourth-year student majoring in political science and philosophy. He can be reached at WH750431@wcupa.edu.