Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

Is Greek Life still relevant? This was the topic of discussion on the Black and Latino Greek Council panel that was held in Sykes last Wednesday night. Seven of the “Divine Nine” African American sororities and fraternities were represented at the event. The discussion began with each individual response to the question, “Why did I become Greek?”

Many of the panelists agreed that being Greek opens a spectrum of vast opportunities. From leadership to community service, a member can gain a lot of knowledge and experience in areas that he or she may not have been exposed to, if it were not for the organizations.

Tyrone Patton, Jr., member of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Incorporated, stated that when he attended West Chester University, “There were only 175 African American students, and everybody didn’t get along,” said the Iota. “The Brotherhood served as my family,” he said.

West Chester University senior Shane Daniels asked, “Is acceptance, loving, and brotherhood the real reason why you join?”

West Chester University junior Jamar Kelly, member of Kappa Alpha Psi, responded to the question by stating, “You have your own motivation. I wanted to do something important to contribute to my undergraduate experience,” said Kelly.

West Chester alumna, and member of Delta Sigma Theta, Katrina Deaton, expressed that she thinks of her sorority as a business. “What could I contribute to [Delta Sigma Theta]?” asked Deaton.

Another question that was addressed was, “What are the benefits that one can receive from being Greek?” The panelists responded with, “networking, and learning to persevere. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere,” said Patton.

Some of the negatives of African American Greek life were also exposed. “Once you become part [of an organization], your individual identity is stripped,” said West Chester senior Alexis Good, president of Black and Latino Greek Council; vice president of Zeta Phi Beta, Theta Lambda Chapter.

“Stereotypes are that all Greeks are mean people,” said West Chester senior Tracee Washington, president of pledging processes of the sororities and fraternities.

“Cultish,” is how Deaton described joining a sorority. She said, “It’s a process of learning the ins and outs of the organization. You learn the history, the presidents, and are sometimes asked to do things you don’t want to do.”

Washington clarified that, “Pledging is not hazing; it’s a learning experience. [People] have the misconception that Greeks want to harm you.” She stated that the new term used is “intake.”

The members of Chi Upsilon Sigma, a Latin Sorority who were also included in the panel, stated that

Zeta Phi Beta, Theta Lambda Chapter and vice president of Black and Latino Greek Council. “We should know that everything is a struggle,” said the Zeta. Next came inquiry on the they use the term, “educational process.” The members of the panel also gave their opinion on Auxiliaries. Sigma Gamma Rho, Mu Delta Chapter President and BLGC Recording Secretary and Historian, Janine Owens addressed my question as to if Auxiliary members are encouraged to continue in Greek life to try and join an accredited sorority. “An Auxiliary is used as a stepping stone. [People] battle with ‘should I move on’,” said the Sigma Gamma Rho. “Auxiliaries don’t do things sororities do, and are sometimes illegal. They are definitely encouraged to join a sorority,” said Owens.

An unnamed Delta alumna of Temple University strongly stated her opinion on Auxiliaries. “An Auxiliary is just the shadow of someone else. [Sisters] should step up to be in an organization that represents women,” said the Delta.

The final question asked was, “Why did you decide to join the organization that you did?” West Chester University senior and president of Phi Beta Sigma, Lambda Upsilon Chapter Jacob Gray stated, “I joined because I wanted to make a difference on campus.”

Washington left The Quad with a final note: “Greek life is important on campus. It is a major part of a minority’s college experience. I encourage all students to support [Greeks] because we are here for you. We want to work for the students, through the students.”

Any further questions can be answered by Charles Warner in Student Greek life, Sykes 238, 610-436-2117, or Jerome “Skip” Hutson, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Sykes 238, 610-436-3273.